After completing week three’s assignments, I have a much better comprehension of Multimedia learning principles and how to best incorporate them as an educator. In Dr. Ray Pastore’s video, he broke the dual coding principle. Most of his slides included only verbal content and lacked non-verbal representations such as graphics. By doing so, he overloaded the learners working memory and would have been better having a mix of verbal and non-verbal representations. However, Dr. Pastore did say to take these principles ‘with a grain of salt’, as it can be difficult for the educator to follow all the principles.

Photo by Charles Deluvio on Unsplash

If I were to create a PowerPoint presentation, I would ensure not to break the redundancy principle to not overload information for the learners. I would also make sure to use to coherency principle, and have relevant information in close proximity to each other.

A multimedia learning principle that I have used intuitively in the past is the signaling principle. When I am presenting information that I find to be of strong importance, I ensure to underline or highlight the learning concepts. A learning principle that I have broken in the past is Interactivity Principle. I feel like this principle has been easier to achieve with online recorded lectures, however, in a regular class it would be difficult to ensure this principle could be met.

Here is the screencast video I made of the learning platform Kahoot! I am definitely a beginner at video editing, but it was fun to learn the basics.